The debris cone in the left part of this photograph dates back to 1952. It is the result of an outburst flood of Laguna Milluacocha, impounded by the now breached moraine ridge adjacent to the cone. Since then, the lake has redeveloped to a much larger size - however, at a lower level - due to the retreat of the glacier. Refugio Ishinca and some patches of Polylepis forest can be seen in the right portion of the image.
- Sunday 15 July 2018 by Martin Mergili (329 visits)