View of Aberdeen's most central square. The Mercat Cross in the right centre of the photograph was erected in 1686. It once reflected the right of the city to hold regular markets or fairs. The Union Street with Town House, Sheriff Court, and North of Scotland Bank appears in the background. The grey colour of the buildings is due to the granite commonly used as construction material.